Dentist in Harrisburg, NC
Over time, teeth begin to weaken and become more susceptible to problems such as decay, cracks or discoloration. Crowns are used to renew the appearance and function of a tooth. Crowns are not limited to just replacing the original tooth, but can be designed to create an even better aesthetic appearance.
Other reasons for needing a dental crown include:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking or fracturing.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left.
- To cover severely discolored teeth.
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down.
Also, they are often used in conjunction with root canal therapy, dental implants or as an anchor for a bridge.
The procedure for receiving a crown is as follows:
- X-rays will be taken to check the roots of the tooth receiving the crown. If the tooth has extensive decay or there is a risk of infection, a root canal treatment may be performed first.
- Anesthesia is used to numb the area to eliminate pain. The tooth that is receiving the crown will be prepared down to make room for the crown.
- One of our dentists will make an impression of the tooth. These impressions are sent to the lab where the crown will be fabricated.
- We will then fabricate a temporary crown and place it to cover and protect the prepared tooth while the crown is being made.
- Once your permanent crown arrives, your temporary crown will be removed and your permanent crown will be placed over your tooth. We will ensure the right fit and color during placement.
- If the permanent crown is acceptable, the crown will be permanently cemented in place at this time.
Crowns are typically made from porcelain in order to maintain strength and a natural appearance. Once treatment is complete, continue to practice proper at home care and keep regular office visits to help your crown last many years. Much like your original teeth, crowns require routine brushing and flossing.
For more information or to request an appointment, contact us.